Welcome! I’m Alex, yet another Hub-Bub volunteer. Like Mesha, Weslie, and Hannah (who, I am certain will write to us soon), I am thrilled to be involved with Hub-Bub. As someone drawn to creativity of every sort, I am consistently amazed by the varieties of expression I see around me in Spartanburg, and I am convinced that Hub-Bub is the perfect organization not only to promote these different artistic endeavors but also to help them flourish.
When I reflect on why I volunteer with Hub-Bub, I always come back to the same question: Why not? Like I mentioned, I strongly believe in Hub-Bub’s vision and goals, but, more than this, I love the feeling of accomplishment and connectedness that comes from volunteering with someone. I want to work with the Man, not for Him (or Her!). And I think volunteer work – especially when it comes to the arts – helps bring people together in this way like nothing else can.
But, of course, I have a life outside of Hub-Bub and volunteerism. And here is a brief glimpse of what makes me me:
- I think sweet tea is a direct gift from above.
- I’m an English major at Wofford College and am constantly reading something.
- I love to drive. And I love poetry. Occasionally I’ll listen to poetry recordings while I drive.
- Love the beach, hate the sand.
- If I could eat anything for the rest of my life it would probably be my mother’s gumbo.
- I’m addicted to trivia. Also to tweeting. Sometimes this goes hand-in-hand.
- I’m consistently baffled by the amount of people who haven’t seen Heathers or, worse, don’t even know what it is.
I look forward to writing more soon! Be sure to keep in touch with me and the other bloggers through comments, Facebook, and Twitter!